Most often, the garage is the most unused area in a home. Most homeowners are unable to maximize its use and usually become storage for junk and other unused items. However, if you need more space, for example, a home office or additional bedroom or kid's room, you can make use of the garage by converting it into these useful rooms.
A little planning will do wonders and help transform your garage into an office or another useful room. You need to plan carefully and ensure that you have the necessary funds for your project.
Make sure to take note on the following if you want to transform your garage to an office or other usable space:
1. Establish your budget. Include in your calculation and list the materials, labour and new furniture. Determining your budget is necessary since it will greatly affect the success of your project and the design of the changes that you are planning to make. If you have been using your garage as storage for some time, you can start to remove items and make a garage sale. Make sure to check out items that you still need.
2. Determine what kind of room you want it to convert into. If you need a home office, you can transform it into one. Most homeowners convert their garage into an office, but you can choose to use it as a tiny library for your kids, an extra room for guests or just a family room where you can bond and spend time with the rest of the family.
3. Create a design plan. Consider your budget when doing so. You can begin to plan for the wall colour, the layout of the entire room, the furniture and additional accessories that you need. You can opt for a colour theme or scheme to create harmony. Take into consideration the power outlets or water lines for the room.
4. Once you have established your plan and your budget, you can start to apply for the necessary permits before you can start work. Check out your local building department for permits you need. A permit is needed when the original layout of your home changes, including various systems like plumbing and heating.
5. Make a general cleaning of the garage. This is to prepare for the work ahead and to carry out your plan. A clean and empty garage is perfect. It is easy to plan and move around when it is free from distractions.
6. You may want to provide on-site parking option. Check out your local authorities first. Ensure that your conversion will not impact the resale value of your property. Remember that in some places, a garage is a must for homebuyers.
The garage size will influence your plans and designs. Consider also if you are going to convert a part or have an entire garage conversion in Sheffield. Before you proceed, it is important to weigh your options well and only consider converting your garage into a room that you and the family need the most.
112d, 88 Queen Street
0114 303 0373